Dreary Midnight--Short Story blog #1

This week, I am participating in a 4-day writing challenge. I will be posting some sort of creative work through Thursday. These are very sudden and off the whim kind of pieces, which makes it challenging and fun! I hope you enjoy them!!



“Dreary Midnight”
Every morning, at the peak of midnight, I wake to see the hollowness of my face and my distraught hair. I never knew that living some time without you would be this hard. Of course, I knew it wouldn’t be easy, but it seems I underestimated our worth together. I underestimated the joy we had in each of our hearts, not just for ourselves but for others. I underestimated the beauty of our hearts beating in time with one another when we looked into each other’s eyes.
I never knew the true joy and love behind our lovemaking sessions. I know this is not your fault. You didn’t mean to get sick and upset our rhythm and our routine. Every morning at midnight, though, I feel my heart sink a little more. Like its floating in its own filth. Even my heart struggles to understand. I know the only being that knows the real truth is God. I feel that He even disguises the truth from us to lessen the blow and the hurt.
You have three more treatments to go. It means three more nights without you by my side to warm the bed. Without you, I am cold to the bone and shivering to death.  Even when it is not cold at night, I find myself shaking with anxiety and worry. I try my best to calm my nerves, but the truth of the matter is, I am a wreck. A wreck that is starting to feel like I am devoid of purpose. I know deep down that it is just the devil trying to take a hold of me.
I try my best to resist his banter and his falsehoods, but when you’re alone and worried, it is made even harder than it ordinarily is. It is almost as if I can hear him cackling in my ear, especially when he comes at my mind with something totally Ludacris.  I can feel his slimy hands trying to make his way into my brain. It is awful, but I am here to say that prayer works. It can be floaty and ambitious at times, but it does certainly help fend off the awful reactionary response that the devil craves.
Every night, I am filled with excitement when I receive your phone call. Even though I know it’s from the hospital, I know you’re there to try and fight this. To give yourself a second chance at life. I pray to God every night that you’ll be reborn in a sense and here to celebrate life with me, even if it is only for a few more years. Years are certainly better than mere hours. I will continue to pray for your betterment and health every second that I am able.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gymnastics... The sport that lives in my heart...

Speaking from the Belly of The Beast: A depression letter.

Peace Poetry based on images- Post #2 11-23-2021