I bet you didn't know I was superwoman!

I like to think that the idea of having a disability are akin to those of super heroes. No, in case you are wondering, we cannot shoot lasers out of our eyes or jump from building to building using webbing that magically comes out of our hands. The super power most commonly found among the disabled community is an amazing amount of strength and patience. Sure, life in any sense, able bodied or not requires patience, and we all know when we are being pushed to our limits. However, when you live with a disability, every little movement requires an awful lot of strength & a whole lot of patience because our expenditure of energy is much higher than the average person. For instance, I can imagine that if you are able bodied, and you are walking along not thinking about the steps you are taking. It is something that comes naturally for you, much like breathing. However, for those of us with Cerebral Palsy, we must think about every action before they can be done. In other words, our brains can never take a vacation from its job! Having a disability can be a sort of hardship, especially if you live with chronic pain conditions that arise as the affected individual ages. As a child, I was told that Cerebral palsy, as a general disability, does not progress. By progress, I mean get worse as time goes on.While the disability as a whole does not get worse, I was in no way prepared for the pain I would be left to endure for the rest of my life. I'm only 32 years old, not that old to most, right? Not even at middle age yet. Your body does not seem to care if you are 32 or 90. Disability, no matter the type, tends to do a number on your body, strictly from the years of wear and tear. Kind of like your favourite dish towel. If you constantly use it, it is bound to wear down and begin to take on an older appearance, ragged and tired. I personally live with hip dysplasia and osteoarthritis in my right hip, I have "runner's knee" in my left knee, & I have chronic pain on both sides of my back. Yes, living with these conditions in addition to my Cerebral Palsy is difficult. It is also emotionally taxing knowing that the painful sensations will always be there. I am not going to sugar coat anything. This has taken a toll on my emotions and my overall individualistic view. Pain changes a person. It has a tendency to try and take over your life. I try my dandiest not to let it consume me. I try to live each day of my life with purpose and meaning, even in the worst of hours and days. While there are many difficult things that come along with living with a disability, there are also many positive things, too! I feel that we as a community see things from a broader prospective than most. Our disabilities, in a way, force us to think in a more introspective manner. Dependent upon on severity, many of us have to stay home due to lack of transportation, pain, lack of personal care attendants, and many other reasons. Most would assume that this factor would lessen our scope of "experience" , but I believe that it increases it. We tend to appreciate the little things a lot more, therefore becoming increasingly grateful for everything in life, even if it is a simple trip to the grocery store. I realize that the idea of grocery shopping seems so mundane and boring, but for us, it is an opportunity to get out and share the world with you! Perhaps my favourite thing about living with a disability is the opportunity to become a "teacher" to others. To give them insight about how to live with a disability with a positive and welcoming attitude while at the same time embracing the difficulties. The most important lesson I have learned in life is to embrace all of what life has to offer! Each situation will come together to make you a stronger and braver person, perhaps even a guiding light and inspiration for others!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gymnastics... The sport that lives in my heart...

Speaking from the Belly of The Beast: A depression letter.

Peace Poetry based on images- Post #2 11-23-2021